Normally, I’ll wave the cole slaw. PASS. But omg….I could not keep out of this stuff!! I created it on a whim, because I couldn’t decide exactly what I wanted on my latest sandwich, and this amazing Honey Mustard & Red Onion Dill Pickle Slaw was the perfect topping! I finally had to just slap a lid on it and hide it away in the fridge to keep myself from scarfing half of the bowl down in one sitting!!
I made it nice and juicy, with lots of sauce as it’s original intention was to just use it as a “condiment” on top of a new sandwich. I was undecided on whether I wanted a honey-mustard-mayo sauce….maybe some sweet or dill pickles….or maybe even a cole slaw…so you can see how this all-in-one idea came about! You wanna talk about the perfect sandwich topper! MAN! (And it was actually fantastic as a side dish, too!)
Something to save to your Pinterest Boards for the summer!
Or like…for tonight!
I simply went to my stand-by-go-to homemade tartar sauce, and took it from there! And this creamy slaw with a kick of not just one, but two mustards, red onion and dill pickles would go beautifully on pulled pork barbecue, fish, or chicken sandwiches! I’d even pile this right on top of a burger, and that is so not like me! But BOY is it good!!
Simple. Easy. Minimal pantry ingredients all come together quickly! And whether it’s made to compliment a main dish on the side, or as a condiment on a sandwich or burger, this is definitely going to be made all summer long at our house! And I so hope that you all find this Honey Mustard, Red Onion & Dill Pickle Slaw as handy, helpful, and delicious as much as we did, too! Enjoy!
- ⅓ of a large head of cabbage, finely shredded or chopped (a little more if you like it less saucy)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup heavy mayo such as Duke's or Hellmann's
- ½ cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- ⅓ cup coarse chopped dill pickles
- 2 Tbl. honey
- 1 Tbl. dill pickle juice
- 1 Tbl. spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tbl. whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- ¼ tsp. worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp. celery salt
- ⅛ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- In medium bowl, whisk dressing ingredients well until creamy. Taste-test, add as you like. Cover and chill until needed.
- Run wedges of cabbage through your food processor choosing the blade of your choice. I used the next to smallest grating one, making ours the size and consistency of KFC's. You can also FINELY shred with a sharp knife if that's what you prefer to use.
- Finely chop onion, and add cabbage and onion into a large bowl. Toss with spoon or fold with spatula to combine gently.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture. Fold well to coat all. Cover and chill.
- Fold or stir before serving to incorporate any dressing on bottom of bowl.
- Wonderful as a side dish, or piled onto burgers, or chicken, barbecue, corned beef/pastrami, or steak sandwiches, or even on grilled brats or hotdogs!