Meat lovers, rejoice!! Because this Low-Carb Gluten-Free Chicken Paillard Pizzette has the pizza gods freaking out! These babies are the BOMB. Silly-easy to make, and OMG-delicious!! Jot down what you need for your next trek to the grocery store, because you’re gonna wanna make this. Today. Like now.
Seriously. This just plain ROCKED the casbah.
I’ve actually been one of the very few to NOT want to do a “cauliflower crust” pizza. Or any other vegetable for that matter. My hubby HATES cauliflower, and all of the ones that I’ve seen, I don’t care how hard they try to sell it, look like they just can’t hold up.
Even if you squeeze that veggie as dry as the Sahara, it still doesn’t look sturdy enough to actually pick up a slice and eat like a pizza after it bakes and the veggies soften. They ALL end up looking mushy and wobbly-icky to us. And I’m not one to knife and fork it when it comes to pizza!
So I decided to make “paillard” chicken pizza, which simply means “pounded thin” and usually grilled, and make that our base for our pizzas!
For those who are watching carbs and don’t want a ton of them (that are the huge culprit when it comes to pizza), but also don’t want a mushy “faux crust” either, this is a super fun way to eliminate most of those naughty extras.
Since there’s no bread crust, this is also gluten-fee as well!
And boneless, skinless, chicken breast meat is low in fat, loaded with protein, and sturdy enough to actually pick up and eat by the slice when pounded thin and grilled!
Soooo….why not, right?
Neither my hubby nor I are overweight, we eat what we want in moderation, and we just don’t worry about freaky fad diets.
I never take a single day for granted, and go all out when cooking for myself and my husband. We each, separately and together, have gone through unspeakably difficult tragedies and life-threatening situations and emergencies, and that’s why I appreciate every single minute that I am still here.
And that’s also why I truly try to just enjoy everything life has to offer.
Ok, except for maybe vegetable pizza crusts.
It may not be the healthiest, but I don’t think a half of a chicken breast, some homemade salad dressing, homemade pizza sauce, a little cheese, and some pizza toppings is going to shorten my life.
If anything, it may just add a few days.
They say you live longer when you’re happy. So live a little, right?!
Now, as you can see, we topped ours with pepperoni and black olives, but you can top yours with any of your favorite pizza toppings!
You can even skip the sauce, and swap it out for thinly sliced fresh tomato if you’d like! I would, but it’s going to be quite some time yet before we have good summer tomatoes from our garden!
And hard on the outside – mushy on the inside, anemic, winter tomatoes just don’t cut it.
But if pepperoni isn’t your carnivorous pizza fun, ham, sausage, roast beef or hamburger, anchovies, or even salami would be a cool meat swap.
Not in the mood for olives? Peppers, mushrooms, onions, or even pineapple chunks would be tasty on this!
Or go a little more uptown, and try some artichoke hearts, grilled baby shrimp, prosciutto, or maybe try a more exotic cheese that you’ve found in the international cheese bin at your favorite store!
The chicken paillard is simply the base for whatever your own heart desires!
So think of this as just a guide! (But I’ll tell ya, it sure was delicious just as I made it!)
And this pizza is a total fooler! It’s actually VERY filling, and my hubby and I were stuffed after sharing ONE.
We did have a small salad on the side, though. And if you’re not a carb hater, a hunk of garlic bread would also go extremely well with this, too!
We absolutely LOVED this, and I have a good feeling that you’re going to love this, too! These are hearty enough for a main dish for dinner; or, make several and top them different ways for a fun party appetizer!
These go quite a long ways, and just one was more than enough for two people. So this is actually a great budget stretcher, too!
So make sure that you keep this recipe handy! It’s easy to make, quick to the table, and a meal or treat that everyone is sure to enjoy! Have fun, and make a boring Tuesday night something special!
Links to my other recipes used in this post:
- 1 extra-large boneless skinless chicken breast (1 - 1½ lbs.), butterflied and pounded thin (*or two smaller ones)
- italian salad dressing, (2 - 4 Tbl. to coat both sides), *preferably my homemade
- oil for grilling (canola or vegetable)
- pizza sauce (1/4 - ½ cup / as you like)
- shredded mozzarella & provolone blend cheese, about 1 cup or however much you want
- sliced pepperoni, as many as you like
- sliced black olives, as many as you like
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Trim chicken breast(s) of fat, butterfly (slicing into thick long side), and pound thin to ¼ - ⅓ inch thick.
- Spread top side(s) with my Italian salad dressing, or your own, and heat grill pan over medium high heat. When pan is hot, brush with oil and place chicken coated side down onto hot pan. Grill until lightly brown with nice grill marks. Spread top side with more dressing and turn over to grill other side until done through. (Only takes 3 - 5 minutes per side depending on thickness of chicken.) Remove to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spread top with my homemade, (or your own favorite), pizza sauce. Then top with a nice handful of shredded mozzarella & provolone cheese, pepperoni slices, and sliced black olives.
- Pop into hot oven and bake just until cheese is fully melted. About 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove to pizza paddle or cutting board. let rest a few minutes, then slice into serving sized pieces.
- Wonderful with a simple salad, and garlic bread for carb lovers!
**Chicken breasts can be pounded in advance and marinated in the salad dressing.