Cool, light, not too sweet, not too sour, “just right”. Simple. Down-home. Southern coleslaw!! Yep. My Sweet Creamy Southern Cole Slaw is exactly that. And just how we like it.
Everything you’d expect and hope for, made easy in the food processor!
I never cared for coleslaw when I was a kid! As a matter of fact, I pretty much hated it. Everyone would rave and rave about so-and-so’s, or KFC’s, and I’d be like, please just keep that “stinky stuff” down at your end of the table, and please pass me the ‘tater salad! 😀
I just couldn’t do it.
Then one summer day, I decided to just go for it on my own, kept it super simple, make it totally creamy-style, and only added the amounts that I could tolerate.
And I LOVED it. Finally!! I could enjoy coleslaw, too, so long as I offered to make it myself. 😉 And luckily, everyone who’s tried it has liked it and asked for the recipe!
Now, you can of course, adjust the basics to your own preference, as I have come to realize, that, coleslaw is a very “personal” matter. Everyone seems to like it their own way. And that’s wonderful! What a boring world it would be if we all liked the exact same thing the exact same way, right? 😀
So here’s how I enjoy making it!
I simply run skinny wedges of cabbage and baby carrots right through the ol’ food processor using this blade to keep it nicely chopped and the consistency of KFC’s.
The finished dish will look like this:
I add in some finely chopped red onion….
Use this photo for your Pinterest Board!
….then whip up this nice, creamy dressing. (*The tartness coming from my own homemade sweet pickles!) But you can use the juice from a jar of store-bought if you don’t have any homemade. I prefer sweet “bread ‘n butter” pickle-style juice, but you can also try using dill or sweet gherkin pickle juice.
This dressing can also be used as a regular, tossed, garden salad dressing. Or, a dressing for other salads such as potato salads, macaroni salads, and creamy pasta salads. You can use it “as is”, or doctor it up further with a little mustard, chopped olives, or some pickle relish!
But for the slaw, just stir it all together, chill, and wa-lah! 😀 Perfect coleslaw every, single, time! 😀
Absolutely a must-have staple to any spring event, summer picnic and barbecue, and the perfect, easy side dish for sandwiches all season long! Hint: this goes beautifully on top of pulled pork barbecue sandwiches! Just saying. 😉
I think that you’ll really enjoy my version, and will come home with an empty bowl from every party attended!
So let’s welcome spring with a good old fashioned picnic at the park,
or backyard barbecue with friends, neighbors and family!
Whaddya say?! 😀
- half of a head of cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 (3 oz.) bag sweet baby carrots, finely shredded, * see note
- ¼ cup mild sweet red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy mayo such as Duke's or Hellmann's
- ½ cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 2 Tbl. sugar
- 2 Tbl. sweet pickle juice, preferably my homemade
- 1 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- 1/16 tsp. celery salt
- 1/16 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- In medium bowl, whisk dressing ingredients well until creamy. Taste-test, add as you like. Cover and chill until needed.
- Run wedges of cabbage and carrots through your food processor choosing the blade of your choice. I used the next to smallest grating one, making ours the size and consistency of KFC's. You can also shred if that's what you prefer.
- Finely chop onion, and add cabbage, carrots and onion into a large bowl. Toss with spoon or fold with spatula to combine gently.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture. Fold well to coat all. Cover and chill.
- Fold or stir before serving to incorporate any dressing on bottom of bowl. ENJOY!