Do we really need another sausage and egg breakfast sandwich? Yes. Yes we do! Especially when it tastes like an outstanding, upscale bistro sandwich that you would expect to get in say Chicago, New York City, or L.A.!! From Top to bottom, this sandwich leaves the rest in the dust!
I was feeling really good after 6 months of hell, (4 of them in the hospital!), and I wanted to create the ultimate breakfast sandwich for my incredibly awesome hubby who never left my side!
I still had some pretty cool ingredients left to play with from the previous sandwiches that I had made, and thought to incorporate some of them into a breakfast item that would be quite unexpected and memorably unique.
Needless to say, the final concoction left my hubby speechless! There’s a first time for everything!
This sandwich was gonna get down and dirty, so I needed a sturdy sandwich bread that could hold up to all of that yumminess without getting soggy, wet. or just crumbling into a mess like biscuits tend to do. So, the obvious choice was to use one of the last ciabatta rolls!
Worked like a dream!
All those nooks and crannies, like an English muffin, were just begging to be filled with warm, melty butter!
I then topped that with fresh baby spinach leaves and a fried sausage patty smothered with melted havarti.
Not your usual suspects and were a welcome change!
Next up to bat were thinly sliced red onion and roasted red peppers!
I mean, hey, why not, right?
Lastly, I added some crisp-cooked bacon pieces that I chopped up further. This made a huge difference verses the whole strips of bacon thing. It was MUCH easier to eat and you are guaranteed a taste of bacon in ever single bite!
I mean, who doesn’t want bacon AND sausage? Just go for it. Make this a royal treat for someone who especially deserves to be spoiled!
You can top your sandwich with whole strips if preferred. But do try this just once. You’ll never go back afterwards!
I then spread the warmed rolls with a kick-butt whole grain mustard and fresh parmesan aioli! The perfect condiment to compliment this masterpiece!
So, if you’re tired of the same-old same-old boring, had-it-a-million-times breakfast sandwich, make THIS “Bistro Breakfast Sandwich with Sausage, Egg and Havarti on Ciabatta” for a real eye-opener!
This is a sandwich that will have you scrambling out of bed for!
Have a most wonderful week all! Eat well, sleep well, be well. And play nice with the other kids!
An incredibly delicious bistro-style sandwich that's easy to make! What's not to love?
- 1 ciabatta slider/sandwich roll, buttered inside and out, warmed
- baby spinach leaves, to cover bottom roll
- 1/4 lb. breakfast sausage, pattied and cooked
- 1 slice havarti cheese
- 1 jumbo egg, fried to desired doneness
- roasted red pepper strips, as desired
- thinly sliced red onion, as desired
- crisp-cooked bacon crumbles, 1-2 strips
- whole grain mustard and parmesan aioli
- For Aioli:
- 1 Tbl. mayo
- 1 Tbl. whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbl. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/16 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spread insides of rolls wirh soft butter.
- Stir together well the aioli ingredients, set aside to marry the flavors. (*Can make ahead and refrigerate.)
- Form a 1/4 lb. of sausage into a burger patty. Fry on both sides until browned and done in the middle, top with cheese slice, remove from heat, cover, set aside to melt.
- Place rolls, buttered side up into oven to melt butter and warm rolls.
- In small frying pan, fry egg to desired doneness.
- Place bottom roll onto plate, top with baby spinach leaves, cheesy sausage patty, fried egg, red onion, roasted red peppers, and bacon crumbles.
- Spread inside of top roll with aioli and place onto sandwich. Enjoy!