Got leftover grilled sausages? MAKE. THIS! SO simple. SO good. DONE in minutes. And every bit as delicious as the traditional, beef cheesesteaks! These Grilled Italian Sausage Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches were stinkin’ AWESOME, and will be your new, quickie go-to, summer fave! Whether using leftover sausages, or cooking them on the spot, these are perfect for weeknight meals or backyard barbecues!
Seriously. HELLO. Just take a look at THAT.
Uh, huh. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.
Made your mouth water, didn’t it? It’s ok. I was working on this post at 5 am, and I wanted one for breakfast.
So, let’s drool no longer and get this DONE!
We simply start off by placing some rich and delicious, Garlic & Herb Butter into a pan.
*I’m VERY picky about what butter I use, and I trust Minerva Dairy real Amish butter. You can use whatever brand that works best for you, but this one is bar-none to me.
Turn the burner on, melt the butter, and toss in some sliced onions and whatever peppers you’ve grown from your garden, or purchased, that you’d like!
I grow my own cubanelle peppers, which we LOVE, because they’re sweet and not hot. They don’t have a super thick skin on the outside, which makes them perfect for grilling, stuffing, sautéing, and are comparable to bell peppers without the “in your face” pepper flavor, if you get what I’m saying.
They make friends with everything!
*They turn red if left on the plant to grow longer, otherwise they are green if picked earlier. Either way they’re delicious!!
Get your veggies going first, and sauté them in the garlic & herb butter until mostly where you like them.
Then toss in your grilled sausage slices, and sauté the whole mess until the veggies are done to your liking and the sausage is well heated through.
You can use regular Italian sausages, sweet, hot, or even brats if you please! This will be YOUR masterpiece, so make it however you want to!
Set that pan of sausage and veggie heaven aside, and spread the insides of some hoagie rolls with more of that luscious, real butter….
….and run your rolls under the boiler until nicely toasted!
Then pile your sandwiches high, with your sausage and veggie mixture,…
…and douse the whole top with as much melted Cheez Whiz as a person could ever dream of!
There’s a huge debate over what makes a Philly Cheesesteak “authentic” as far as the cheese goes. And most prefer the traditional melted Cheese Whiz. But feel free to melt some provolone over the whole mess if that’s what floats your boat.
To each their own! GO for it!!
These Grilled Italian Sausage Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches were such a nice treat! And I’m sure they’ll soon become a favorite of yours, too!
Easy to toss together, whether you start with leftovers or not, and the perfect sandwich for weekend barbecues and quick weeknight meals!
I so hope that you all enjoy! These truly were delicious! And so easy and quick to make! Have a wonderful weekend!
- 3 Italian sausages, grilled and sliced at an angle
- 1 sweet red cubanelle pepper, or bell pepper of any color, (deseeded), halved and julienned
- ½ of a large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 Tbl. Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 hoagie or sub rolls, split open
- more garlic & herb butter, softened
- ¼ - ½ cup Cheez Whiz, melted, or as much as you like!
- In large frying pan, add butter, melt over medium-low heat, and add peppers, onions, and salt & pepper to taste. Sauté until almost as desired.
- Add in sliced, grilled, sausages, and toss. Sauté until sausage is heated through and veggies are cooked to your liking. (Crisp-tender or soft.)
- Heat oven to broil.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and place hoagie rolls split side up. Spread insides with more softened garlic & herb butter, and run under broiler until toasted.
- Pile each sandwich with sausage and veggie mixture.
- Warm Cheese Whiz according to directions on jar, and pour as much cheese over the tops as you'd like.