My hubby raved for days over this Spicy Smoked Chicken & Cheesy Tzatziki Sandwich, claiming it was one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever made him! I used some of the still tender & juicy leftover chicken breast meat from a chicken I had smoked, and kept it simple with fresh baby spinach leaves, sweet ripe tomato slices, black olives, and a wonderful, cheesy, homemade, cool & creamy tzatziki sauce! And it truly was a beautiful thing.
This, without a doubt, was one of the very best chickens I have ever made! Be it in an oven, crock pot, grill, or smoker, and it started with a simple, whole, young, tender chicken.
I was very fortunate to be sent some super cool products to try from Grill Eye, and it wouldn’t have come out this perfect without them!
You can find my recipe for the Spicy Tender Smoked Chicken on my blog, or you can use your own chicken for this. But I highly recommend you check mine out! It was absolutely mouthwatering with a little kick of heat!
So let’s get this sandwich going, because I know you’re hungry!
Since my chicken was already cooked from the day before, there was actually very little to do! So this makes for a fantastic quick lunch or weeknight supper!
I started by whipping up my easy “tzatziki sauce“, and added lots of fresh cucumber and feta cheese crumbles! I swear, I could’ve grabbed a few endive leaves and just ate that whole bowl all by itself! SO good!!
*I personally prefer making it with thick sour cream, but you can certainly make it the traditional way with Greek yogurt.
Once that’s done, you’re just a few moments away from pure sandwich UTOPIA.
Just butter the insides of your rolls with a good garlic & herb butter such as Minerva Dairy, and run them under the broiler. (I used onion poppy seed buns for this and that really went well with everything.)
Place the bottoms onto serving plates.
Then top them with handfuls of spinach leaves….
…then slices of warmed smoked chicken!
Top with a few slices of garden fresh tomato….
…then a small handful of sliced black olives.
Finish this off with a nice big ol’ spoonful of my cheesy tzatziki, put the lid on top….
…..and prepare yourself for that first heavenly bite!
The creamy coolness of the tzatziki complimented the spiciness of the chicken beautifully! And keeping the rest of the toppings simple, lended the perfect balance of uncomplicated harmony!
My hubby made so many yummy sounds and moans, I had to check on him to make sure he wasn’t in PAIN! Ha!!
So, toss a chicken into the smoker and have a nice dinner that night, then make sure to save the leftovers for these killer Spicy Smoked Chicken & Cheesy Tzatziki Sandwiches the next day! (If you can wait that long!!)
I know you’re going to love them just as much as we did! Hope you all enjoy!
*Be sure to check out my post for the Spicy Tender Smoked Chicken that I used in this recipe! It’s AWESOME!!
- thick slices of my Spicy Smoked Chicken, white and/or dark meat
- onion rolls, (or buns/rolls of your choice)
- Minerva Dairy Garlic Butter, softened
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- fresh tomato slices
- sliced ripe olives
- cheesy tzatziki sauce (below)
- Cheesy Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- the juice of 1 small lemon
- ½ cup thick sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbl. finely chopped red or sweet (mild) onion
- 1 rounded tsp. dried dill weed, or to taste
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, or as much as you like
- salt & pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, add Cheesy Tzatziki Sauce ingredients and stir well to mix. Taste, and adjust ingredients to suit your own taste.
- Heat oven to broil. Butter insides of rolls, place buttered side up onto baking sheet, and broil, watching, until toasted.
- Slice chicken and place onto a plate. Microwave on 50% until just warmed.
- Place roll bottoms onto serving plates, top with handfuls of baby spinach leaves, sliced chicken, tomato slices, black olive slices, and spoonfuls of sauce. Place on tops and DIG IN! Enjoy!