No-fuss homemade meatballs to die for, simmered in spaghetti sauce, piled onto semi-homemade bread toasted with garlic herb butter, and smothered with mozzarella & provolone cheese? Yeah. I’m talking about a seriously good sandwich here!! My Easy Weeknight Meatball Subs are something you’ll want to save, Pin, share, or bookmark for supper! Like. Tonight!!
And they’re so easy to make, it’s silly!!
The perfect weeknight supper for the fam that will have everyone shutting their phones off and racing to the table!!
There are meatball subs…and then are MEATBALL SUBS!
You know what I mean? Frozen meatballs just don’t cut it, and they’re so easy to make from scratch, that you’ll never buy those nasty frozen ones again!
I won’t make you chase them around the pan while cooking them, either!
Simply bake them in the oven, and they come out so much better! And pretty, too!! And a lot easier clean-up. Which, I mean, who doesn’t love THAT on a busy weeknight, right?
Sorry friends, I accidentally dumped my meatball photos from my camera…I know!! I’m so mad at myself about that!
I’ll take more soon, because I make them frequently, but you can at least sort-of see them here…all coated nicely with a regular store-bought sauce that worked perfectly fine!
I piled them onto semi-homemade bread that I made from a frozen bread dough loaf. Just thaw it overnight, (sprayed and wrapped in plastic wrap), in the fridge. It will be thawed perfectly the next morning.
The next day, just slice the loaf lengthwise, roll them like a snake a little longer, place the ropes onto a sprayed baking sheet, spray the ropes of bread, cover them with plastic wrap, and let them rise until doubled.
Before baking, just sprinkle them with whatever seasonings you like! I did these with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and a little pepper! Then just bake!
This what they’ll look like, only this time I made two long ones, slightly wider, instead of three:
I love making this because, you can them slice them into whatever size you need. Hoagie sized or sliders! Or anything in-between!
Then just place your baked meatballs into a saucepan with the spaghetti sauce, heat until just a simmer, and place a few onto your garlic and herb butter bread with a little extra of the sauce!
I like to just slice the bread, then slice each open, and spread the insides with flavored butter. You can make your own flavored butter, or use what I love, which is Minerva Dairy’s Garlic & Herb butter.
Then pile each of the meatball sides with piles of shredded mozzarella & provolone cheese!!
Run them under the broiler until the cheese has melted and the top buns are toasted…
…and that’s all there is to it!!
Not only are they convenient for weeknight meals, but they’re always a killer good Football Sunday grub for you and your friends that won’t break your savings account and are adored by all!
Whether made into full-sized hoagies, or party-sized sliders, my Easy Weeknight Meatball Subs are a handy go-to, easy, TASTY sandwich that is sure to make everyone happy! My homemade meatballs just can’t be beat, and make these subs taste just as good as your favorite Italian restaurant! Hope you all enjoy!!
- For Meatballs:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbl. finely grated asiago cheese, optional (but add it if you have it!)
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1½ tsp. dried minced onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp. worcestershire sauce
- Rest of Ingredients:
- ½ jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu's Homestyle for this)
- shredded mozzarella & provolone blend cheese (I used Sargento's)
- 4 - 6 sub or hoagie rolls
- herbed garlic butter (I used Minerva Dairy's)
- For Meatballs: In large bowl, mix all ingredients WELL with hands. Pat into a mound, divide into fourths, and make 3 - 4 large meatballs out of each section totaling 12 - 16, depending on how many sandwiches you would like. (*I made mine slightly smaller this time making 18. I baked them for 23 minutes.)
- Place onto sprayed or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with more coarse ground black pepper. Bake in 375º oven for 30-32 minutes. Remove from sheet with spoon scraping away any fat and place into a small frying pan or medium saucepan. Add about a half of a jar of spaghetti sauce, fold to coat, and heat over medium heat until sauce is hot. Remove from heat and cover.
- Heat oven to broil.
- Split open hoagie rolls and thinly spread garlic butter over insides, place onto baking sheet open faced, buttered side up. Top bottoms with sauced meatballs, spoon more spaghetti sauce over them, then top meatballs with lots of shredded cheese. Run under broiler until cheese has melted, and top rolls are lightly toasted. WATCH CAREFULLY so that they don't burn!
- Place on tops and enjoy! Goes nicely with fries, onion rings, mac 'n cheese, oven-roasted potatoes, salad or cole slaw!
- *You can also make these on dinner rolls or a baguette sliced into 2 inch wide slices for sliders!!