Warm days and chilly nights mean…bring on the comfort food! And this comforting plate of heavenly goodness, my newest crock pot concoction, Slow Cooker French Onion Pulled Pork & Gravy, was just the ticket!
Super easy to toss together, only taking a little over 6 hours from start to finish with just minutes to prepare, and you’ve got yourself one hearty, tasty meal!
I started by searing a pork loin roast that I seasoned with coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder, and placed it into my crock pot with the fatty side up. Always do this so that when the fat melts, it bastes the meat keeping it extra juicy!
I then added a can of Campbell’s Beef Consommé, a few slices of butter, placed the lid on, and slow-cooked the roast until it was literally fall-apart tender!
Then simply pull the meat apart using two forks, into large, bite-sized chunks. Once the meat is pulled and any unwanted fat is removed, stir in the rest of the ingredients and let it cook another 5 minutes.
And you’re done!
I turned the crock pot off and just let it stay nice and hot in the cooker. And while it was resting, I whipped up a batch of my Best Homemade Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
Homemade mashed potatoes are also VERY easy to make if you have a hand ricer to run them through. No mashing, just a quick stir and you’ll NEVER use instant potatoes ever again!
I placed a nice pile of my mashed potatoes onto each plate, and then ladled that heavenly pork right over the top!
Comfort food nirvana…quickly followed by a total food coma…
…and worth every little care & calorie!!
The meat is SO tender and juicy, and just melts in your mouth! And the gravy? Absolutely delicious!!
Served over homemade mashed potatoes just can’t be beat! Although you could certainly serve this over cooked noodles or rice if you’d like. (*My hubby had the last of the leftovers over homemade buttered rice, with a small handful of sweet baby peas tossed in…and said that was best of all!)
But me? Bring on the homemade mashed potatoes. A match made in heaven!! And even better the next day!
Perfect comfort food on a chilly, autumn evening! Hope you all enjoy!!
*I served this heavenly dish over my Best Creamy Homemade Mashed Potatoes!
- 1 (3¼ lb.) pork loin roast, (can be a little more or less)
- coarse ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- (*do not add salt)
- 2 - 3 Tbl. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 (10½ oz.) can Beef Consommé
- 4 Tbl. butter, sliced
- 1 (10½ oz.) can French Onion soup
- ½ tsp. dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. horseradish
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbl. cold water
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbl. cornstarch
- more pepper to taste
- homemade mashed potatoes, or cooked noodles
- Rinse roast under cold water if need, and pat dry. Season one side with lots of coarse ground pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- In large frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Place roast, seasoned side down, into oil. Season top side. Sear meat until golden browned, just a few minutes. Turn and sear other side. Whole process should only take about 5 minutes total.
- Place roast into crock pot fat side up. Pour consommé over roast. Dot top with 4 slices of butter. Cover, set to high, and slow cook for 6 hours until easily pulled into small chunks.
- Pull pork with two forks into bite-sized chunks, discarding any unwanted fat. Stir in french onion soup, dark brown sugar, and horseradish. Stir in cold water mixed well with cornstarch, cover, reduce heat to Low, and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir, and ladle over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles. *You can add some frozen peas to the pork if desired! (Add during last 5 minutes.) Also very good!