Kicking off the month of May with my new, fully loaded, Barbecue Ranch Chili Cheese Crunch Wrap Burger with Bacon in celebrating #NationalHamburgerMonth! These were so good, that my hubby wanted me to save this recipe for a contest! Not kidding!
The month of May is National Burger Month, and right up my alley! I signed up for a huge event that’s taking place right now over at Kita’s blog, Girl Carnivore, where about 100 of us foodie loves got together and have been creating tons of fun burgers to make over the summer for you! You’re going to LOVE my #BurgerMonth contributions! I’ve made three for this year’s event and had a BLAST! *Be sure to click on the link and pop over to Kita’s place and it all check out! And don’t forget to enter to win some extremely cool grilling prizes!!
My first burger, a Beer Can Pizza Burger totally stuffed with pizza goodies and overflowing with glorious cheese has already posted, and now here’s the second one up at bat!
There are lots of goodies going into this baby, but don’t be scared off. It’s pathetically easy to make! Starting with the burgers. Firstly, please don’t be fooled by all those videos flooding our newsfeeds on Facebook showing how cool it looks to PLOP entire spoonfuls of seasonings directly onto raw meat such as ground beef. You are never going to get everything mixed in and distributed evenly that way. Not only that, but you’re going to end up overworking the meat, making your burgers extremely tough, in trying to get all those globs ‘n piles mixed in. I always break up the meat when adding seasonings, and add a little at a time sprinkling everything evenly over the meat, then tossing it to reveal unseasoned parts, sprinkling again, and repeating until all of the meat is nicely dusted. Adding in increments makes for a wonderfully flavorful burger from the first bite to the last! (Who wants a mouthful of cayenne in one bite, and a tablespoon of salt in another, right?)
And these burgers are very nicely seasoned! VERY flavorful!
Once they’re mostly done, just top them with some shredded Mexican blend cheese, close the grill lid, and melt!
When the burgers are done, the assembling begins!
Start with large, burrito-sized tortillas that have been warmed in the microwave between damp paper towels to make them soft and pliable.
To provide a creamy base for these, I mixed together some cream cheese and jalapeños instead of just a smear of sour cream. I figured the sour cream would get lost with everything else going on, and it worked out beautifully! Next I topped them with some shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions, and some lightly crushed Chili Cheese Fritos! You could also use Doritos if you’d like. Whatever you all enjoy.
Next comes that tasty, juicy burger, a few spoonfuls of chili, drizzles of thick sweet barbecue sauce and Ranch salad dressing, and a sprinkle of crisp-cooked bacon crumbles to top the whole thing off!
I KNOW, right??!!!
Then just bring up a side to cover to the middle, and keep bringing up the rest, overlapping, until the burger is “wrapped”!
Hold your finger there for a sec, and let a little of the excess chili help to get a seal. Then place it folded side down onto a baking sheet. When they’re all assembled and wrapped, get the grill heated back up.
Then, just brush the tops and bottoms with a little canola oil or melted butter, and grill each side until golden browned, toasted, and lightly crispy!
I placed them folded side down onto the grill first, then turned them several times until evenly toasted on both sides.
Then slice them in half and serve these babies up hot! You’ll have a little chili left as the burgers are small, (palm-sized), but just serve the extra chili on the side for dunking your burger and some of my “famous” Barbecued French Fries!
When making the burgers, you might be thinking that they’re going to be too small, but don’t let their small size fool you! They have to be a bit on the dinky side, or you’ll never get them wrapped with the tortilla for one.
And secondly, with everything else going into these suckers, they’re actually VERY filling! I could only manage to eat a half! And though the hubs finished a whole one, he was stuffed and didn’t even need anything else with it!
So if you’re looking for a new, exciting, and damn tasty burger to try this year, you’re gonna wanna make these!! They were AWESOME. They might even be a cool kick butt burger to make for Cinco de Mayo, too. 😉 Hope you all enjoy!!
And be sure to come back, as I have one last “slider” burger coming on the 27th!!
The sponsors this year are giving away some pretty cool swag that you can win!
Check this stuff out! *And just pop over to #BurgerMonth to enter!*
● American Lamb Board – ALB Prize Boxes 5 lbs of Ground Lamb, Apron, & Meat Thermometer
● Anolon – 10″x 18″ Double Burner Griddle and Grill Pan
● Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner – Prize Packs of Beefy Grilling-Themed Goodies
● Char-Broil – Char-Broil Kettleman Grill
● Curly’s BBQ – Curly’s BBQ Pork Pack
● Cuttingboard.com – Olive Wood Carver Board
● Melissa’s Produce – Baby Vegetable Box
● Primal Stone – XL Primal Stone
● Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
● Thermoworks – Thermapen Mk4
● Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and Grilling Gear
Pretty cool swag, eh? So enter, and be sure to check out Kita’s blog to see all of the fantastic burgers being created throughout the entire month of May, as well as check out the previous year’s recipes, too!! Don’t miss out!
Where this EPIC Burger Creation is my OWN for #BURGERMONTH 2017, and I did not receive payment, compensation, nor product for this event and post, I would like to thank American Lamb Board, Anolon, Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner, Char-Broil, Curly’s BBQ, Cuttingboard.com, Melissa’s Produce, Primal Stone, Spiceologist , Thermoworks , & Veal Made Easy for donating the GRILL PRIZE PACKAGES for a few of our very lucky followers to WIN!
~ And many thanks to Kita for having me!
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the awesomely creative burgers
by this wonderful group of foodie bloggers,
as well as participating again next year!
Hope you all are enjoying this years event as much as we are! ~
*Here are two of my homemade chilies that work well for this:
- For Burgers:
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. regular black pepper
- 1½ Tbl. barbecue sauce
- garlic salt to taste (on outside of patties)
- small handfuls of Mexican blend shredded cheese (I used half of an 8 oz. bag)
- For Quick Chili Mixture:
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 1 (19 oz.) can thick chili such as Hormel (with or without beans), or *homemade if it's not runny
- For Cream Cheese Mixture:
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1½ Tbl. chopped pickled jalapeños
- Rest of Ingredients:
- 4 large burrito-sized flour tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- thinly sliced tomatoes
- thin slices red onion
- 3 (1 oz.) single serving bags Chili Cheese Fritos® or Spicy Cheese Doritos®, lightly crushed
- crisp-cooked crumbled bacon, (about 4 strips or as you like)
- barbecue sauce
- Ranch dressing, my homemade or store-bought
- For Quick Chili:
- In frying pan, melt butter, add mushrooms, and sauté until tender. Stir in chili, simmer 1 minute, remove from heat, cover, and set aside. (Do not chill).
- For Cream Cheese Mixture:
- Soften cream cheese in microwave if needed, stir in chopped pickled jalapeños. Cover, set aside. (Do not chill).
- For Burgers:
- Break up meat into a medium to large bowl, sprinkle evenly with rest of Burger ingredients (*except garlic salt and cheese), a little at a time tossing the beef, then combine with hands until ingredients are evenly distributed throughout, but don't overwork the meat. That will create a tough burger. Cover and set aside. (Chill if not making right away). Get grill going. While grill is heating up, divide meat into 6 equal portions and form into small thick patties. Just before placing onto grill, season outside of patties, both sides, with garlic salt to taste. Grill patties until almost done, top with small handfuls of shredded cheese, and grill until cheese is melted, remove to a platter.
- To Assemble and Finish:
- Top in order:
- a warmed flour tortilla
- a small spoonful of cream cheese with jalapeños, spread out to size of burger
- shredded lettuce
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- crushed Fritos or Doritos
- about a ¼ cup chili
- crumbled bacon
- drizzle of barbecue sauce
- drizzle of Ranch Salad Dressing
- Bring up one side of tortilla up over burger to top, then keep folding up tortilla overlapping all the way around. Press for a few seconds to hold in place and seal, then place folded side down onto a clean platter. Continue with rest. Brush tops and bottoms with canola oil or melted butter and grill each side until toasted and golden. Slice in half and serve hot!