Let’s face it, sometimes we just want a little good old-fashioned junk food! But I want the food and not the “junk”! So when I get a craving for some nice and salty potato chips, I just simply make my own. 😉 They are SO easy, and really, so much fun to make that there’s just no reason not to!
And when you eat them still warm….dipped into your favorite cool dip….oooohhhhh myyyyyyy!! You are in for real TREAT!!
These are perfect for Friday Night Movie Night! And you can of course, add whatever other spices and seasonings you like! Finely grate some parmesan cheese over them, or maybe add a light dusting of cayenne for a little kick of heat! The possibilities are truly endless!
The only trick to them, really, is to use a mandolin and slice them paper thin. Get your oil hot and fry just one to see how you like them, watch the time it takes, and adjust your oil to a nice fast fry.
And watch them! They cook fast, which is nice so it doesn’t take long, but don’t turn your back for a second or you could easily burn them. Then, sprinkle with salt immediately after placing them on the paper towel so it sticks a little. And that’s really is all there is to it!
I usually just make regular chips, rustic pub-style leaving the the peel on, and using whatever potatoes I have on hand such as Russet, Red or Yukon Gold. But this time, I decided to add some Sweet Potatoes to the mix!
I forgot how hard those little suckers are though, so the best both my hubby and I could do was to get half-slices, but they still did just fine, and personally, we both liked them even better than the regular ones!! 😀
This photo does not do them justice, as they were GORGEOUS and much more vibrant than shown here. They truly are a must-make, friends!! 😀
So when you get a craving, simply make these wonderful chips homemade and just quickly pass right on by the chip aisle at the grocery store! Just compare my ingredient list to the ones on the back of the bags, and that should have your cart leaving skid marks! 😉
EZ PZ and DELICIOUS!!! I had a VERY difficult time just getting the photos I could, because my hubby kept STEALING them off of the trays!! 😀 I was about ready to grab the BROOM and chase him out of the kitchen! 😀 So I hope you enjoy soon, and be sure to indulge now and then. Life is short. Enjoy it!! 😀 Have a wonderful weekend all, and I’ll see you next week! 😀
- 1 sweet potato, unpeeled and sliced paper thin
- 1-2 red potatoes, unpeeled and sliced paper thin
- enough vegetable oil to fill a frying pan to 1½" deep
- about a ¼ cup sea or kosher salt
- With a mandolin set on the thinest setting, slice potatoes. Lay them out between sheets of paper towels to absorb liquid.
- While slicing potatoes, heat oil in deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Top a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Place a few sheets of paper towel on top of rack.
- Fry potato slices, only 6 - 12 slices at a time in oil until browned, remove promptly with a slotted spoon or fish spatula, and place onto paper towel-lined rack. Sprinkle with salt, and repeat until all are fried. *Frying time is only about 30 seconds per batch depending on your oil and how hot it is. Make sure your oil is nice and hot, though.
- Serve warm with your favorite dip if desired.
- *Make sure you turn the chips while frying, and fry them until darker than you think you would like. The ones that are lighter in the center weren't quite as good as the much darker ones.