Easy. Simple. DELICIOUS! Pan lickin’ good! 😉 Yep, that sums these up. 😉 And they come in super handy for when you’re cooking on the grill, too! They go great with just about anything from filet mignon to cheeseburgers! Also fantastic with anything slathered with barbecue sauce!
I love dishes like this that are easy to throw together yet packed with great flavor so that I can give my full, undivided attention to whatever main dish I’m making that I need to concentrate on. I’m always afraid I’m going to burn something on the grill, so this is a make it and forget it kind of dish that reheats easily on the stove or in the microwave. You don’t even have to keep it chilled as it can just sit on the stove, covered, until you need it. Have a garden vegetable or fresh fruit side salad already prepared and chilling, and you’re almost there!
This recipe came about when I really didn’t want to fuss with anything and just simply did a pantry raid and – – wah-lah! One lonely can of green beans and one rather funny looking potato got a whole new makeover!
I had one very small vidalia onion left, small for vidalias anyways, which lent a sweet mild onion flavor, and went together perfectly, of course. I mean, what’s a green bean and potato dish without it’s third musketeer, right? 😀
I didn’t want just butter alone, though. So I dipped into my open stash of dry Ranch Dips Mix and that went extremely well!
Lastly, garlic and bacon finished everything off like the candles on the cake! Garlic and bacon make everything better! 😉 😀
As simple as this recipe is, these green beans were absolutely wonderful! And a great way to stretch out a simple can of veggies, too! They sure don’t put much in those cans anymore, yet whenever I open two cans, we never seem to be able to eat them all. This added just enough without being too much.
You can certainly easily double this recipe or make large batches as well for backyard parties, family reunions, or any gathering you have coming up. If you want to do these on the grill too, you certainly could, or even just reheat them in a grill-proof pan or pot.
These babies are great all year round, though, and believe it or not, even go great with eggs and toast for breakfast! 😉 So keep this delicious simple side dish in mind when you need a versatile veggie that goes with anything! Summertime especially, is just too busy and there’s too much fun to be had enjoying the outdoors! So don’t sweat it! Enjoy! And have beautiful day! 😀
- ½ stick butter (4 Tbl.)
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium regular red potato, unpeeled, ½-3/4" dice
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 3 strips crisp-cooked bacon, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. finely minced garlic, one small clove (I just use my garlic press for this)
- 1 Tbl. dry Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing or Dips Mix (either work)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can green beans, drained
- more pepper to taste
- *salt only if desired after tasting
- In medium saucepan or small frying pan, melt butter. Add onion, potato and pepper. Sauté over medium heat until potatoes are fork tender. (I like to cover with a lid and stir every so often.)
- Add bacon, garlic, and Ranch Mix. Stir in well.
- Fold in green beans and heat through, simmering, stirring gently and occasionally so that you don't wreck them.
- Add pepper to taste. Add salt only if desired. *Ranch Mixes are salty.