These new Sriracha Buffalo Hot Italian Sausage Dogs beat the traditional buffalo-sauced grub, hands down! The usual suspects of Mexican cheeses, blue cheese, and onions, compliment the spicy-hot Italian sausage placed onto a bed of fresh baby spinach leaves all cradled into a grilled bun…but, OH! That SAUCE!! WOW!!!
I came up with this out of sheer frustration, all due to my hubby despising buffalo wings. I know!! He has never cared for them, so I rarely have them at all. Then, a few years ago, he tried sriracha hot sauce and absolutely loved it! So I thought, why not try to come up with a “buffalo sauce” using sriracha instead of Frank’s or Louisiana hot sauces.
And SO happy to say, I’ve finally made a buffalo wing lover out of him!!
I’ve made 5 batches of it now, and we’ve been using it on EVERYthing from wings to pork chops, and even burgers and fries! It’s become my new favorite, go-to, all-purpose sauce to make when we want something spicy with a nice kick, but not fire-breathing-dragon-hot!
I’m sure it will become one of your new favorites soon, too!
So. There are basically two main elements that make this recipe so much fun to eat!
The hot italian sausages, and the Sriracha Garlic & Herb Buffalo Butter Sauce!
Just whip up the sauce, (only takes minutes to do!), and grill the sausages. Once that’s done, you’re literally minutes to the table!
Now, the sausages I like to use are a little bit smaller than most, which I LOVE, (and actually works out better for my husband and me), so I just simply trim off the excess bread from each end of the buns.
I can actually eat a whole one, and my hubby has two and doesn’t end up STUFFED. Win, win for us!! (Plus, since they are a little smaller, they come in a package of SIX, instead of the usual five to a package! All the better!)
Who needs all that extra bread and all those extra carbs anyways, right? And the little birdies are always happy to get a special treat of torn bread! Can’t forget our little feathered friends!
Once you have the rolls trimmed, if need be, (to the size of whatever sausages you happen to be using), spread the insides with my favorite butter, Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Amish Butter!
Then place the rolls, buttered side down, onto the hot grill to toast the insides.
Place each one onto a small square of foil….
…and top them with handfuls of fresh, baby spinach leaves.
Don’t skimp on them! This is your one chance to say, hey, at least there’s something healthy going on it! Ha! “Salad” makes everything ok….right?
Then plop a sausage on each….
…and a nice, big ol’ handful of Mexican-blend cheese!
*Don’t skimp on this, either, because after it melts, there isn’t as much as you’d think.
Then bring up the edges to cradle all of the goodies.
This will keep everything inside and hold together….
…and not end up in the fiery pit of death.
(And a whole lot of time will be saved from not having to clean the grill mess later, too!!)
Place those babies onto the grill…..
….and close the lid to melt all that yummy cheese!
*This is also a wonderful fall camping recipe! So to all of the nature lovers out there, be sure to save this!!
Arrange them onto serving plates, and go to town topping them with lots of buffalo-style goodies!
Starting with that heavenly-delicious, and highly addictive, SAUCE.
I swear, this stuff should come with a warning!!
I added blue cheese crumbles, finely chopped fresh parsley and red onion, and finished with a little more shredded cheese!
But you can add whatever floats your boat! Black beans or ripe olives, Mexican rice, avocado, jalapeños, bacon crumbles, green onions, tomato slices, or a little drizzle of Ranch dressing would be fun, too!
Or just go for the whole enchilada, and add them all! I won’t tell. Life is short, so just cut loose and enjoy it!
These Sriracha Buffalo Hot Italian Sausage Dogs turned out to be the BOMB. One of my favorite meals of the whole summer!! The flavors were fantastic, and I’m sure this is soon to be one of your must-make go-to’s soon, too!!
These would be perfect for the upcoming Labor Day weekend, so be sure to keep this recipe handy, print it out, share it on Facebook & Twitter, and pin it to one of your Pinterest boards, because this is truly a keeper! Have a wonderful holiday weekend! Enjoy, all!
*Be sure to scroll down to see both printable recipes!
- Sriracha Garlic & Herb Buffalo Butter Sauce:
- ¼ cup sriracha sauce
- ½ Tbl. key lime juice, bottled is fine
- ¼ tsp. regular table salt
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- ¼ cup (or 4 Tbl., or 2 oz.) Minerva Dairy Garlic Herb Butter, melted
- In medium bowl, add all ingredients except garlic & herb butter. Whisk until mixed.
- Melt butter. Whisk in slowly, streaming in the butter.
- Cover and set aside. Do not chill.
- 6 hot italian sausages, grilled
- 6 hotdog buns, buttered with Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Butter and grilled
- 6 small handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 6 nice handfuls of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- spoonfuls of my Sriracha Garlic & Herb Buffalo Butter Sauce (recipe above)
- blue cheese crumbles, as you like
- sprinkles of finely chopped parsley
- chopped red onion, as you like
- more shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Grill sausages low and slow with the lid closed, turning as needed, and cooking through. Set aside.
- Spread inside of trimmed hotdog buns, cut to length of sausages (if needed), and place onto hot grill buttered side down until lightly toasted. Remove each to a square piece of foil.
- Top with baby spinach leaves, a grilled sausage, and nice-sized handfuls of shredded cheese. Bring up edges of foil to cradle, and place onto grill. Close lid and melt cheese.
- Remove to serving plates, and top with spoonfuls of sriracha buffalo sauce (*printable recipe above), blue cheese crumbles, finely chopped parsley, red onion, and a little more shredded cheese.
- Serve with chips, salsa, and refried beans! Enjoy!