Move over buffalo wings, because my new Garlic & Herb Sriracha Butter Buffalo Wings version beats the tired, old way. HANDS. DOWN! Melt in your mouth, fall-off-the-bone tender and juicy, lightly crispy, nicely spiced and not screamin’ hot but with a great kick, “buffalo-style” wings made with some surprising ingredients! These are a HUGE hit at any party, sporting event, or gathering, and will be a new fave for wing lovers!
There are basically three parts to this recipe.
1) The incredibly delicious, and buttery, fried wings.
2) The OMG amazing “cousin” of the traditional buffalo wing sauce, that I made with sriracha sauce instead of the traditional, sometimes too hot to enjoy, hot sauce.
3) And the BLOW. YOUR MIND. New dipping sauce that had this blue cheese worshipping wing sauce fiend thinking that even the traditional dipping sauce has now had it’s butt officially kicked.
My whole inspiration for all of this, was the sadly simple fact, that my hubby is the President of the Buffalo Wing Hater’s Club.
It’s ok. You can feel sorry for me. I did for years!
He has sworn since the day that I met him, that he hates hot food of any kind, and buffalo wings are the devil. THE devil of the hot food world.
But lo and behold, several years ago, we discovered “sriracha sauce”.
Let me tell you in two words.
So I decided to redesign the classic into a “buffalo wing” flavor that didn’t actually include the usual suspect. And these knocked our socks off!!
He had a few requests, and wanted them “crispy”. So frying, to me, was the best solution. I started by melting some Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Butter, and tossed the ginormous wings into it to completely coat them with all that flavorful, garlicky, buttery goodness.
I immediately shook them in a doubled brown paper lunch sack (a few at a time), filled with specially seasoned flour to coat them lightly, but nicely. I didn’t want a super thick crust that would just take away from the wonderful flavor of the chicken meat.
I then fried them the same way that I do my regular fried chicken, that produces THE BEST chicken to ever pass your lips!!
Brown them, turn them, cover them, turn them, and fry them again on both sides without the lid at the end.
These chicken wings and drumetttes were Jurassic PARK big, so I did them in three separate batches so that I wouldn’t overcrowd the pan and ruin them.
This is the first batch, and aren’t they pretty?
Just enough coating that it completely covers them lightly, and not grossly thick.
You actually could eat them just as is…..
….but I assure you.
You’re REALLY gonna wanna make the buffalo-style sriracha butter sauce!!!
It’s so darned good, that you’re going to want to put it on EVERYthing. I’ve already made three batches of it, and it’s become our new addiction!
And don’t forget part three!!!
The creamy asiago cheese sauce,….OMG,….is another game changer!!!
And that’s coming from a DIE-HARD, blue cheese dipping sauce-hoarder! This. Low-Fat Garlic & Onion Asiago Cheese Dip,….was the BOMB. (Just click on the link or the photo for the recipe!)
My ONLY concern……
…..would my buffalo wing-hating hubby love them? Even just maybe…. “like them ok”?
So that he finally “gets it”?
The whole, super fun, experience of “buffalo wings”??
Happy to report….
I could NOT have been more thrilled and happy!!! These wings truly rocked BOTH of our worlds…..
….and the “yummy sounds” made me think that I should draw the blinds….
…..the “OHHH’s!!!”, “OMGGGG’s!!!!”, and other loud proclamations of “pure food ecstasy noises” had me worried what the neighbors might be thinking…in the middle of the afternoon….on a Tuesday….
Well. Let them just wonder and be jealous.
These were some of the best wings I’ve ever made or tasted, and not I’m not sure that I want any other kind again!!!
*So here’s another one of the things that I LOVE about how I make my wings that you need to know.
My “fry-cover-fry” method is quite like a “low-pressure fry”, that ensures that the meat gets AMAZINGLY tender. SO tender, that it literally can be pulled in one large piece cleanly from the bone!!
*In the red circle isn’t another whole wing….it’s the whole piece of meat pulled cleanly from the bone!! That’s how you know it’s gonna be GOOD!!! Only TENDER meat will leave the bone without even a trace!!
If your wings have never done that, I highly recommend that you try making them the way I do. They’re truly the BEST.
Honestly, if the chicken meat doesn’t pull cleanly from the bone, they weren’t cooked properly. Period.
So if you’re a wing fan like me, (and now my hubby too!!), you’re going to FLIP over these crazy-good, Garlic & Herb Sriracha Butter Buffalo Wings!!
My hubby loved them, and I personally thought that they were even BETTER than the traditional! These are some seriously addictive, game-changing, football munchies, friends!
You might want to make 40 or 50 of them. Yeah, just make that amount. Then lock the door.
*Be sure to serve these with my crowd-pleasing Low-Fat Garlic & Onion Asiago Cheese Dip, too!! Another game-changing dipping sauce!!
*Separate, printable, “Garlic & Herb Sriracha Butter Buffalo Sauce” recipe will be added to my blog at a later date for convenience of searching for it specifically. Pinky swear! Because you’re going to want to use this stuff on EVERYthing from fries to pizza!
- 20 x-large chicken wings and drumettes, patted dry
- 4 oz. (1 stick) Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Butter, melted
- Flour Mixture:
- ½ cup flour
- 2 Tbl. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. regular black pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. creole seasoning such as Slap Ya Mama®
- Garlic & Herb Sriracha Butter Buffalo Sauce:
- ¼ cup sriracha sauce
- ½ Tbl. key lime juice, bottled is fine
- ¼ tsp. regular table salt
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- ¼ cup (or 4 Tbl., or 2 oz.) Minerva Dairy Garlic Herb Butter, melted
- Rest of Ingredients:
- oil for frying (enough to fill bottom of a pan to ½ inch)
- 2 brown paper such sacks (place one inside the other)
- For Wings: In large mixing bowl, add butter and melt. Add wings and toss to coat. (*Don't worry if the butter solidifies a little on the chicken pieces. Just leave it on there.)
- In doubled brown paper lunch sacks, add flour and seasonings, close top and shake to mix. Drop several pieces of chicken into sack, shake to coat well, then place onto rack placed over a baking sheet. Continue until all are coated well. Place into refrigerator UNcovered.
- While chicken is resting, in medium bowl, add all ingredients except butter for sriracha butter sauce. Whisk until mixed. Melt butter, and whisk in slowly, streaming in the butter. Set aside.
- (*Make my Low-Fat Garlic & Onion Asiago Cheese Dip. Chill.)
- In large deep frying pan, add about ½ inch of vegetable or canola oil, and heat over medium heat until hot. Add a few wings at a time without overcrowding the pan, and fry until bottoms are golden browned. (About 5 minutes.) Turn pieces over, cover pan with tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to LOW, and low-fry for about 15 - 20 minutes depending on the size of your wings.(*Turn wings halfway through lid-on cooking time.)
- Remove lid and raise heat back to medium. Fry another 5 minutes, turn, and fry another 5 minutes until outsides are crispy. Remove to a rack placed over a baking sheet and pop into a low oven to keep warm while you cook the rest. (*2 frying pans going at once helps this go quickly. Especially if making a large batch for a crowd.)
- When all wings are cooked, toss a few at a time into a large bowl with the sriracha sauce until coated on all sides. (*Or simply brush each side well with the sauce.)
- Serve with my Low-Fat Garlic & Onion Asiago Cheese Dip for dipping. Enjoy!