WOW were these ever good. I mean, jaw-droopingly, drool-worthy good! It’s always funny how a few simple ingredients can come together so well! And these newest sliders, my Cheesy Mexican Jalapeño Sausage Sliders on Easy Spiced Rolls, were some of my tastiest yet!!!
OMG are you going to LOVE these!!
I started with some J-Ville Jalapeño & Cheddar Smoked Sausages that had been in the freezer since spring! I just had never gotten around to using them, (and didn’t have any propane to grill this year). So they just kept getting pushed to the side.
So I decided it was high time to just grill them indoors, since they’re already cooked, and only hope that I could get some good grill marks by simply using a grill pan on the stovetop.
I really had a craving for some more sliders, because, not only are they fun to eat, and equally a blast make, they go far when you need to stretch out groceries!
I eat one, with or without a side, and I’m done for the entire day!
So I started by slicing them in half, then butterflying them. This way, I would get 12 sliders! (Or a lesser amount if making a couple of doubles for the hubs!)
One dinky slider isn’t enough for a 6 foot tall grown man!
Who says you can’t get decent grill marks indoors, right?!!
So everything was going along great! I mean, just look!
Then I went to take a picture for you….and things went sideways! I damn near melted my entire hot pad, haha!!!
The casualties of being a food blogger! (The dude on the left is what it’s twin on the right used to look like prior to being scorched and melted…) Oops.
I had earlier debated about purchasing slider rolls, but I had some frozen bread dough in the freezer…and I’m so glad that I went with that instead!
I simply thawed it overnight the day before, then sliced the dough down the middle lengthwise into 3 equal pieces.
I twisted 2 and left one straight. I think I like the funky-looking twisted ones, better, though. Don’t you?
I spiced them up nicely and baked up all the loaves on one sheet. Worked like a charm! And this way, you can slice them into whatever size you’d like!
I’ll give you the link to my rolls at the bottom by the recipe if you’d like to make them, too!
After that, it was just a matter of scrounging up grub from the fridge and pantry, and…Wah. La!!
They still needed a finishing touch, though. So I whipped up a quick and easy, 2-ingredient sauce that we used to make back when I was in my 20’s! Cheap eats and still tasty!
And that was exactly what they needed!!
I nuked the sausages in the microwave after “grilling”, loading them with shredded Mexican blend cheese to melt…
….toasted the insides of the “rolls”…..
…and assembled! And VERY happy to say, that these li’l buggers were absolutely fantastic!!! WOWZAS!!!
Grilled jalapeño & cheddar sausages smothered with cheese, placed on top of spicy refried beans and a semi-homemade roll, piled with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños! And finished off with a ladle of creamy “salsa sauce”!
That’s one tasty party going on!! Lemme tell ya!
And speaking of party, there are tons of tailgating parties coming up, as football season is right around the next corner! So do keep these Cheesy Mexican Jalapeño Sausage Sliders on Easy Spiced Rolls in mind for your first Football Sunday party!
You’re friends are going to LOVE these!! Hope everyone enjoys!
*Just a note for you to remember! This recipe makes 12 singles or 6 doubles, or a combo for whatever your hearts desire! So if having a party, you should probably just double this!
~ Instead of tomato slices, you might want to make my Pico de Gallo!
~ And here’s a link to my Twisty Buns. (*The spices used on these were garlic salt, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning, pepper and poppy seeds.) Just sprinkle a little of each. You can’t mess it up.
- For Sliders:
- 1 pkg. jalapeño & cheddar sausages, halved, butterflied, and grilled (I used Johnsonville's)
- 1 can hot & spicy refried beans
- 1 (8 oz.) bag Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- 1½ - 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced (*or make my "Pico de Gallo")
- half of a large onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ - 1 cup guacamole for inside of top bun if desired, or slices of avocado
- pickled jalapeño pepper rings (or pepperoncini peppers, sliced)
- my spicy bread for sliders or purchased slider rolls
- For Sauce:
- ⅔ cup thick sour cream (I used Daisy)
- ⅓ cup chunky salsa, hot, medium or mild (*add more if a thinner sauce is desired)
- Slice sausages in half crossways, then slice almost all the way through, butterflying. Open up and grill both sides, over medium high heat, until nice grill marks and heated through.
- Slice open rolls, spray insides with butter-flavored no-stick spray, and broil just until toasted.
- Place sausages onto a plate (or baking sheet) and top with lots of cheese. Microwave (or broil) until melted.
- In small bowl, stir together the sour cream and salsa until combined and creamy.
- Assemble in Order:
- toasted bun bottom
- spicy hot refried beans, about a Tbl. or so
- sausage with cheese
- second sausage with cheese if making "doubles"
- a small pile of shredded lettuce
- tomato slices
- sliced onion
- pickled jalapeño peppers or peperoncini peppers
- slices of avocado*
- sour cream salsa sauce
- toasted top bun (*spread with guacamole if desired instead of avocado slices)