I recently had the huge surprise of winning a recipe contest on Facebook sponsored by Minerva Dairy! They sent me a year’s supply of their incredibly delicious butters, and a very nice slow cooker by KitchenAid!! I was so excited to try it out, that I immediately thawed a whole chicken and incorporated their butter in making this amazingly tasty and easy, 6 Ingredient Slow Cooker Roast Chicken! It turned out so juicy, and fall off the bone tender!! So read on cuz, you’re really gonna wanna make this!!
Even our fur baby, “Gilbert”, was excited…and read “all” of the directions to me!!
Whenever trying out a new appliance, I always like to start with something simple. Something to get my feet wet with while I’m learning how it works, how to program it, test the waters. And cooking a chicken seemed to me to be the perfect place to start!
And now that I know how to use it, and how it cooks, it’s temperaments, and how it cooks in comparison to other appliances and methods, I’m confident enough to try many other dishes in the very near future! But always best to start with something simple the first time when learning. 😉
And though this first recipe is simple, don’t be fooled! Although the ingredients are minimal, they’re unexpected and provide a huge punch of flavor!
So let’s cook!
The 2 main ingredients for this chicken, are two of my BFF’s in the kitchen, and products that I’ve used and relied on for years, Minerva Dairy Butter, and Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base! Honestly, I couldn’t hardly cook or bake without them!
I simply mixed some of the Garlic Herb butter with a little of the chicken base, patted the chicken VERY dry after rinsing, and smeared the butter mixture all over the chicken! Garlicky, herby, buttery, and nicely seasoned chicken in an instant!
GREAT start to an awesome chicken!!
I placed 2 of the tablespoons of butter into the bottom of the crock, topped it with chopped onion, and then placed the chicken on top. Lastly I just dusted the top of the chicken with a little pepper and paprika.
I then placed on the lid! I set it to Low Cook for 4 hours to start.
But that wasn’t nearly long enough, so I went ahead and cooked it for another 4 hours, and it was PERFECT. It probably was done in about 7 hours, but I’m so glad that I went a full 8. The meat was extremely juicy and tender, and fell right off the bone, which was exactly what I was hoping for.
And just look at that gorgeous color!!
I was in a bit of a hurry, and accidentally dropped that baby back into the crock as I was lifting it out. When I went for it again, I dang near pulled it’s poor little legs off! Whoops!!
So be careful when removing yours, unless mangled chicken doesn’t bother you either. 😉
But, all’s well that ended well, because now you can see just how incredibly tender it was!!
The first night we had a nice roast chicken dinner. Then the next day, I made us each a retro-style club sandwich to die for!! Recipe coming next!!
And lastly, (this bird was big!!), is the wonderful chicken salad that I made on day three!! Though ours was still extremely moist, I always plan on making something (either cold or hot) with the last of roast chicken that has some kind of sauce or dressing to make it nice and moist again!
And this is my everyday, go-to, stand-by chicken salad that we enjoy year round! Especially during the heat of the summer. Be sure to come back, you’re going to want to save this for everyday sandwiches.
So simple, and SO good!!
You’re also going to want to write all of these handy recipes on notecards, and tape them to the back of your kitchen cabinet door to keep them handy! 😉 This is one of the many that I have on the back of mine that I use all the time!!
Easy. DELICIOUS. And one chicken served us for 3 days!!
So hope that you enjoy, and thank you so very much again,
to the folks at Minerva Dairy for choosing my recipe!!
Everything is already being put to very good use!!
- 1 (4½ - 5 lb.) roasting/stewing chicken, rinsed and patted very dry
- 6 Tbl. softened Minerva Dairy Garlic & Herb Butter, divided
- 1 Tbl. chicken bouillon base (I use Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- smoked sweet paprika
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Remove bag of innards from chicken cavity, and rinse chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat outside VERY dry. (*This will help the butter rub to stick to the chicken). Season inside with a little salt and pepper.
- Dot bottom of slow cooker with 2 tablespoons of the butter cut up, sprinkle with chopped onion.
- In small bowl, cream together the 4 tablespoons of butter with the 1 Tbl. chicken base until completely mixed together. Spread a little less than half on the bottom of the chicken. Place chicken into cooker on top of onions. Completely coat top of chicken, including legs and wings, with rest of butter rub.
- Lightly dust top with paprika. Crack fresh black pepper over top. Place on lid.
- Program cooker to cook on Slow Cook Low for 6 -8 hours. (*Mine took a full 8 hours.)
- Remove chicken. Let rest for 5 minutes. Carve or cut into sections, and serve hot.