With summer right in sight, and a taste of gorgeous weather lately, I’ve been working on some fun warm weather recipes for all of us to enjoy! One of my favorite things that I’ve adored since a child, is the occasional treat of a bag of chips, and my Flamin’ Barbecued Potato Chip Flavored French Fries has been a work in progress for several months to get the seasonings “just so” to mimic my favorite flavor! If you’re a huge bbqed potato chip fan too, you’re going to LOVE these fries!!!
I swear to you, they taste just like good barbecue flavored potato chips! A nice little kick of heat, a touch of sweetness that has you reaching for way too many more, a hint of smokiness, and every fry tastes like the few “extra coated chips” you save until last with all the “good stuff” on them!!
I always do mine in vegetable or peanut oil and fry them the way french fries should be cooked. And the little bit of oil that barely hangs on, helps the seasoning to stick to them, so I highly recommend that you just do these the old-fashioned way.
Fries should be a treat. Not an everyday thing anyways. So go for it!!!
With grilling season here, (YAY!!!!!), my recipe is going to come in extremely handy to go alongside not just burgers, but barbecued chicken, tender ribeye sandwiches, tasty paninis, or even be a crazy insane good snack to go with that Saturday night movie!
They don’t take long to cook, and since most grilled meats need time to rest, there’s no excuse not to go ahead and whip these up! Have the spice mixture already prepared, a colander lined with paper towels, and while the oil heats up, cut up some potatoes!
And quick as 1, 2, 3…they’re done!!
Just make sure you add a heavy amount of my seasoning mix, tossing and adding to nicely coat!
Who can resist a great, all-American-style, barbecued french fry??
I know I can’t!!! I love a good, homemade french fry, and I know you’re going to absolutely flip over these, too!! So be sure to save or Pin this recipe to keep it handy! It’s a keeper!! Enjoy!
- 3 russet potatoes
- Spice Mix:
- 1 Tbl. chili powder
- 1 Tbl. paprika
- ½ Tbl. garlic powder
- ½ Tbl. onion powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning *such as Slap Ya Mama
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder
- ½ tsp. hickory smoked salt
- ⅛ tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1/16 tsp. cinnamon
- (canola oil, for frying)
- Slice the potatoes into ¼ - ⅓ inch thick strips. Spread out on paper towels to dry.
- In medium bowl, mix together Spice Mix well, set aside.
- Into a deep frying pan, fill oil to 1 inch deep and heat over medium heat to about 350º F or so. Working in batches, fry potato sticks until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a wire mesh strainer or slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined colander or bowl.
- Season heavily with Spice Mix, tossing and adding to distribute evenly, to coat well. Use as much as you like.