What to do when you have 4 hamburger buns and 2 thawed chicken breasts left? Surprise your hubby with one of his favorites, turned into an incredibly delicious and easy supper of Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches on Garlic Toasted Buns! I hope this doesn’t sound lame as it doesn’t have anything fancy-schmancy boasting the latest “band wagon” ingredients. (Sorry, no quinoa, chia seeds, or pink himalayan sea salt). These sandwiches are just plain ole good, homemade, prepared with simple pantry items. Something that you can make without having to go to 3 stores (plus ordering something online!) just to provide a tasty, decent, weeknight supper for the family on a tight budget. 😉 There’s nothing wrong with fun ‘n fancy items to play with once in awhile, but there’s also plenty of room for the “regular-rotation/go-to-stuff”, too. Recipes we actually make and rely on. And I’m not ashamed to say, that this is one of “those recipes”.
Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts makes FOUR of these killer sandwiches. And only two of the halves actually need to be pounded thinner for all of them to be an equal thickness of a 1/2 an inch.
The sauce is SUPER simple, too. I just gathered a few ingredients that I had on hand and literally in less than 10 minutes, including simmering time, the sauce was DONE.
The crumb coating takes a few more ingredients. But it’s just simple pantry stuff as well, and also comes together in just minutes.
Just dip your chicken filets in your basic egg wash bath, then pack on lots of flavorful crumbs to nicely coat. Then fry, blot, top with sauce and cheeses, and bake to finish and melt! Wa-lah!
I used a pre shredded blend of mozzarella and provolone, and added a nice finishing of more parmesan cheese on top! Fresh parmesan. Not the canned kind that has sawdust in it. Yes, sawdust. That’s what they put in it now. Don’t use that stuff! You’re MUCH better off just buying a small wedge of REAL parmesan cheese!
The last thing to do after the chicken is done, is to just butter the buns, dust with garlic powder, and run those babies under the broiler to toast!
This one might be nice to pin to your Pinterest boards!
This one. Was the biggest one. The monster!
My hubby had his eyes all over it…so yea, I let him have a bite.
I ate it ALL myself!
Ok, not really. Of course I gave him that one. 😉
(I really did. I chose the smallest one, and STILL couldn’t finish a whole one and gave the last few bites of mine to him as well, with NO complaints! 😉 ) So, to stretch this out even more, if making for children or even a small party, you could easily take one or more of the chicken breasts and cut it into FOUR pieces for “sliders”.
Then just place your glorious chicken parmesan filet smothered with rich red sauce and melty cheese on top of those heavenly smelling garlic toasted buttered buns…
….and dinner is DONE. Serve with my Sweet Creamy Southern Cole Slaw or a simple salad with one of my homemade salad dressings, or maybe some Garlic Asiago Potato Wedges or my Copycat Five Guys Fries, and you’re good to go!!!
So if you’re looking for an easy, but damn tasty, weeknight doable supper sandwich…you just found it!! This goes a long ways making four sandwiches from just two chicken breasts, VERY hearty, and you have extra sauce to use as a dipping sauce for a side dish (like potato wedges, fries or tots!) to go along as a side! Or, just freeze for later to use on a homemade pizza, in a casserole or soup, or tossed with your favorite pasta in a snap! Enjoy!!
- For Sauce:
- 1 (14½ oz.) can stewed tomatoes, with nice and broken up until chunky
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 Tbl. basil pesto
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. regular ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes, more if you like it spicy
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- Egg Mixture:
- 1 extra large egg beaten with ½ Tbl. cold water
- Breading Mixture:
- ½ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. regular table salt
- ½ tsp. italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. regular ground black pepper
- Rest of Ingredients:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded ½" thick
- mozzarella and provolone blend shredded cheese, as much as you like (1⅓ cups or so)
- more grated parmesan cheese, as you like (I didn't measure I just grated right over)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 Tbl. soft butter
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- (oil for frying)
- For Sauce: In saucepan, add stewed tomatoes with the juice, crush tomatoes with your hands. Stir in rest of sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, remove from heat and let rest with lid tilted.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In pie dish, beat egg. Whisk in water. In second pie dish (*or doubled brown paper lunch sacks), add Breading Mixture ingredients, stir well (*or shake) to mix.
- Dip pieces of chicken, one at a time, into egg mixture, left excess drip off, then coat very well on both sides in breading mixture. Place onto a baking sheet. Add more of the breading mixture, patting on to both sides. Let rest.
- Add oil to large frying pan until ½ deep, heat over medium heat until hot and shimmering. Add chicken pieces in batches to hot oil and fry for 5 minutes until deep golden brown on bottom. Turn pieces over and fry other side for 5 minutes, remove to rack lined with several layers of paper towel to absorb oil. Then place onto foil lined baking sheet. Top each with an ⅛ cup (2 tablespoons) of sauce. Top each with shredded cheese. (About a ⅓ cup per each chicken filet or however much you want to pile on!) Then grate more parmesan cheese over each. As much as you like.
- Pop into preheated oven and bake for 5 - 7 minutes to finish chicken and melt cheese. Remove from oven and turn oven up to broil.
- Butter insides of buns (tops and bottoms) and place onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with a little garlic powder, and run under the broiler, watching carefully, and broil until toasted to your liking.
- Place chicken parmesan filets onto bottom buns, top with lids and serve hot. Enjoy!!