Other than classic salmon patties, cakes and burgers, I never really cared very much for salmon until I met my hubby, Tom! He LOVES it, so over the years, I’ve tried many different ways to cook it, and this Glazed Balsamic Seared Salmon is one of our favorites!
I was also never really a fan of vinegar. Just the smell of regular, white distilled vinegar was enough to make me nauseous. But once I got into trying good vinegars, I discovered a whole new world of flavor! Sweet, aged balsamic is my favorite! And when it’s combined with Asian-style ingredients and reduced to a rich, decadent sauce, ooohhh myyyyyy….it’s pure gold!
So that’s what I did for these beautiful, center-cut salmon fillets! This is a very easy recipe that’s so impressive in flavor, that it’s most definitely company-worthy! And really only takes minutes to prepare and cook!
You simply stir the glaze ingredients together and set them aside. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan with a little oil until very hot, but not smoking, and sear your lightly salted and peppered salmon on both sides, and remove them to a plate.
While your pan is nice and hot, add your glaze mixture and stir and reduce until rich and thickened a little! That last part only takes 2 -3 minutes, and the salmon only takes about 3 – 4 minutes per side. And WA-LAH.
Everything comes together so quickly and easily, that you have to actually make your side dishes beforehand! I usually like to just serve this with a simple rice pilaf squirted with lemon juice and chopped parsley stirred in. Warm rolls, a simple garden salad, and you’ve got a very elegant, simple dinner!
And, while we’re in the middle of summer, if you’d rather cook your salmon on the grill, go for it! Just oil your salmon, season it lightly, and oil your grill grates before placing the fillets onto the hot grill to prevent sticking. When nicely browned, turn them using a sharp spatula, and cook the other side. You can then simmer the sauce on the grill or bring everything indoors and finish the glaze on the stovetop.
So if you’re looking for something healthy, simple, easy, and delicious. Something special for the family or company. You’ve just found it! 😉 Enjoy!!
- For Glaze:
- ⅓ cup good aged sweet balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbl. water
- 1½ Tbl. brown sugar, packed
- 1½ Tbl. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- ⅛ tsp. sriracha sauce
- For Salmon:
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on (center cut)
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- light sprinkling of salt to taste
- 1 Tbl. canola oil
- Stir together glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in large, nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, get very hot but not smoking. Increase heat to high, add salmon skin side-up, and sear until nicely browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn fish over and sear until just cooked through, 3 - 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer salmon to plates and slowly and carefully add vinegar mixture to skillet. (*Liquid will bubble vigorously and steam).
- Simmer, stirring, until thickened and reduced to about ⅓ cup, about 2 - 3 minutes. *Watch at the end so that it doesn't burn.
- Spoon glaze over salmon and serve.