Yep. At it again! Per request of my hubby!!
If you’ve been following my blog, you know that I love to experiment with “pudding cookies“! Including this one, I’m just shy of a dozen recipes for them now! And these new Salted Chocolate Butterscotch & Toffee ones with Cashews, were another big hit!!
What are “pudding cookies”, you’re wondering? It’s the “secret ingredient”, (instant pudding mix!), that you add to cookie batter that makes them lightly crispy on the outside, soft and tender inside, and decadently rich, creating the perfect little cookie!
Into these went butterscotch flavored pudding this time! And there are a few other secret weapons in this batch, including Ghirardelli’s Intense Dark Toffee Interlude chocolate chunks, butter rum flavoring, crunchy toffee bits, and even a little splash of Buttershots! Along with lightly salted whole cashews, they got their usual light sprinkling of kosher salt on top!
Don’t skip the salt, it really makes these cookies pop!! 😀
The batter all comes together so quickly and easily, that it’s one of my base, go-to, cookie doughs, that I can whip up in no time at all!!
The only thing that I don’t like about making pudding cookies? They never seem to make enough!! 😀 These disappear so fast, that they never seem to last more than 2-3 days!
I usually get between 28 and 32 cookies each time, and always share a good half-dozen with the next door neighbors! But my hubby, a.k.a. “The Cookie Inhaler”, can wipe out a whole stack in seconds flat!!
One of these days, I’ll make a double batch….
Save to your Pinterest boards!
……and if you have a few cookie monsters lurking around your kitchen, too, you just might want to make a double batch of these babies, too!!
So, if you’ve never had, nor made, “pudding cookies“, it’s time that you gave them a try! I now have 11 to choose from, and more ideas up my sleeve! 😉
So whip yourself up a batch or two this week! They make for a perfect treat, and would be a wonderful after school snack or nice lunchbox surprise! Enjoy!
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 sticks real butter, softened
- ¼ cup regular sugar
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box butterscotch instant pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. butter rum extract
- 1½ Tbl. Buttershots Liqueur (I accidentally spilled, so that's about what went in there)
- ½ cup toffee bits, plain or chocolate covered
- 1 (3.5 oz.) pkg. Ghirardelli Intense Dark Chocolate Toffee Interlude squares, break each square into 12 pieces / use 3 pieces per cookie
- whole salted cashews, 3 per cookie, (approx. 90)
- kosher salt (approx. 2 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175º C).
- Whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Beat in instant pudding mix just until blended. Mix in the eggs, extracts and liqueur.
- Blend in the flour mixture and toffee bits.
- Drop cookies by large rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and roll ito large balls. (*The size of a large walnut.) Lightly press cookies flatter with palm of hand.
- Tuck in pieces of chocolate halfway. Lightly press 3 cashews onto each top.
- Lightly sprinkle tops with kosher salt as desired.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Edges should be lightly browned and center will NOT look done. Do not over bake.
- Remove from baking sheet carefully to a rack to cool.
- *They will look like they are NOT done, but they will set up as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter.