It’s clean out the freezer time! Time to make sure all of this past year’s berries that have been frozen get used up to make room for this year’s fruit. Two different kinds of blueberries went in this time, and it was one of the best loaves I’ve ever made!
Enormous, plump, regular blueberries, and the last handful or so of the smaller, wild blueberries.
This bread always gets rave reviews from not only my hubby, but from the neighbors and our sweet mail lady, too! It makes two loaves, so we always enjoy one loaf and share the other one!
Well, at least some slices of it. The hubs isn’t into the “sharing thing” as much as I am, but he’s slowly coming along. 😉 I can’t say I blame him on this one, though!
I make it chock-full of berries and always bake them in the bread frozen so that they hold their shape and you don’t end up with hollow, blueish green holes where the blueberries used to be!
I also like to add a little coconut, too. It provides just a little extra texture and gives the nutty taste a little boost. So don’t skip it, it’s really nice in there.
Though I personally prefer the sweetness of pecans and rarely ever buy walnuts, if you prefer walnuts, go for it! This will be your bread to enjoy and everyone should always make things according to how they personally enjoy it!
And though this bread is absolutely delicious the first day, it’s out-of-this-world good the next day after it has been refrigerated overnight tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.
It becomes even more moist and dense, and slices beautifully! So if making for company or giving as gifts, it’s best to make this the day beforehand. You can eat this as-is, or enjoy with a little real butter! Fantastic for a quick breakfast, snack or dessert, and travels well to picnics and cook outs! Hope you enjoy, and have a wonderful day! Don’t forget to share with your friends and neighbors! 😉
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar, can sub light brown
- 1 Tbl. + 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 Tbl. vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1 Tbl. vanilla
- 3 large very ripe bananas, coarsely mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients on medium speed except blueberries for about 30 seconds. Just until all is mixed. (*I peel the bananas and add them to the mixing bowl by squeezing and squishing them through my fingers to mash. They stay in small chunks that way and don't get over mashed and mixed.)
- Fold in frozen berries.
- Pour into 2 greased 8½ x 4½ x 2½ loaf pans that have been greased on the bottoms only. Bake in 350º oven for 55-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, loosen sides by running a knife around the sides of pan, turn out onto rack to cool. When cool, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and keep refrigerated.
- Best the next day! Serve with real butter if desired.