Remember that awesome Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Taco Sauce that we made this summer? Well, here’s another way to use that wonderful, deep crimson sauce!
This was one of THE BEST Mexican-style lasagnas I’ve ever made! And I think a lot of the credit goes to the homemade sauce that I made from the cubanelle peppers and tomatoes that I grew this past summer!
This sauce is sinfully rich and thick, garden-fresh, and has no chemicals or preservatives in it! So decadent that you can literally stand a fork in it! 😀
It’s also extremely easy to make, and since the summer is over, you can easily make this from purchased tomatoes and peppers. If cubanelles aren’t available, just substitute sweet red bell peppers instead.
This lasagna may seem like it has a ton of ingredients, but it’s just simple seasonings right from the pantry!
It’s so easy to make it’s insane. Just brown your beef, onions, jalapeños, garlic, mushrooms and onions until done. Then stir in the homemade taco sauce, half of the green chilies and extra seasonings! Simmer for just a few and the meat sauce is good to go!
Next, in a medium-sized bowl, stir together the ricotta, parmesan, sour cream, garlic salt and rest of green chilies! This mixture is good enough to just eat on it’s own as a spread or dip, lemme tell ya!
And you’re ready to start layering! It’s that simple!
In order, you’ll add a little sauce to the bottom, then, the best part, 5 regular UNcooked lasagna noodles! Yep! A little trick I learned MANY years ago! You don’t have to cook them first. Just add 15 minutes baking time to your lasagna recipes, and wah-lah!
Next, add half of the meat sauce, all of the ricotta mixture and 1 bag of the cheese.
Last is another layer of noodles, the rest of the meat sauce, and the second bag of cheese!
Then you’re ready to just pop this baby into the oven! I like to tent it with foil after the first 30 minutes, and add just a little bit more cheese during the last 10 minutes.
And it turns out GORGEOUS!!!
The hardest part is to let it cool down a little! Wait about 15 minutes, at least, before slicing and it will slice up beautifully!
We love to top ours with at least a little sour cream and a bit of hot sauce, but other fun garnishes are listed in the recipe below! Just add whatever your heart desires! 😀
So if you’re looking for a killer-good Mexican-style Taco Lasagna that doesn’t use a bunch of packets, bottles and cans….you’ve come to the right place! 😀 I hope you enjoy this wonderful casserole as much as we do! Take care all!! 😀
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, large diced
- 1-2 fresh jalapeños*, seeded and chopped, can sub ½ a bell pepper or chopped pickled jalapeños (*to taste)
- 1 (8 oz.) cont. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced (I use my garlic press for this)
- 3¼ cups (26 oz.) homemade taco sauce (1 batch)
- half of a 4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies, *other half is used in the cheese mixture
- Seasoning Ingredients:
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt, I like Johnny’s (can sub regular table salt)
- 1 tsp. regular table salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. Better than Bouillon Beef Base dissolved in ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp. honey or sugar
- ¼ cup beer
- ½ Tbl. cornmeal
- Ricotta Mixture:
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, (I use Galbani’s because it’s thick)
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- (other half) of the 4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 2 Tbl. sour cream, (I use Daisy)
- Rest of Ingredients:
- 10 lasagna noodles, UNcooked
- 2 (8 oz.) bags shredded Mexican Blend cheese, *more if desired on top
- Garnishes: sour cream, sliced black olives, jalapeño rings, chopped avocado, hot sauce, pico de gallo, crumbled queso blanco or queso fresco cheese, or anything else your heart desires!
- In large deep frying pan, sauté beef, pepper, onions, jalapeños, mushrooms and garlic until meat is done and no longer pink, breaking up as you cook. Drain grease if necessary. Stir in homemade taco sauce and green chilies.
- Stir in all Seasoning Ingredients. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine until well mixed the Ricotta Mixture ingredients.
- In large, deep 13×9 baking dish, spoon about a ⅓ of a cup of sauce onto bottom of pan to lightly coat. Top with 5 UNcooked lasagna noodles. (Snap off a few corners to fit if needed.)
- Top with ½ of meat sauce, then all of ricotta mixture. (I do small spoonfuls then gently spread.)
- Next, top with 1 bag of the cheese evenly, then 5 more noodles, the rest of the meat, and second bag of cheese.
- Pop into preheated 350º F oven for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, or until noodles are tender. *Tent with foil after first 30 minutes. (*Top with a little more cheese, if desired, during last 10 minutes.)
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Slices very nicely!
- Garnish with heart’s desire!
- Goes well with my Mexican or Spanish rices, a small salad, and my Bolillo rolls.