This hearty, Creamy Sausage, Spinach & Cheese Tortellini Soup is loaded with flavorful bites of spicy Italian sausage, healthy spinach, tender pillows of cheese-filled tortellini, meaty mushrooms, fire-roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic, real parmesan cheese, and more! Good to the last, bowl-lickin’ slurp!
Who says you can’t have soup in the summertime? I remember many summers while at work, I’d be freezing because the A/C would be turned up so high that it made my toes purple and my nose run!
And we’ve been having the oddest summer since we moved here 8 years ago! It seemed we had a briefly scorching-hot spring, and now a spring-like summer so far. So a nice bowl of soup has been a very welcome treat for us! And I’m sure you’ll agree that a big ol’ homemade pot of soup simmering on the stove is something that you just can’t resist no matter what time of year it is!
And this soup was quite a treat alright! Like all of the flavors of Tuscany wrapped in a creamy-rich, tomatoey broth that was to die for!!
My hubby said he was never much of a soup fan (whaaaat???), until he met me that is! And it truly is one of my most favorite things to make. Though a lot of my soups do take a a couple of hours to make, as most GOOD soups do, this one is a lot quicker.
But don’t let that fool you! It still takes like your Grandma spent hours and hours making it back in her cottage kitchen in Italy! (There are few cheater, convenience items that help out with that!)
But as I said, though this soup uses a can of this, and a jar or two of that, the end result is truly outstanding!
So if the guys at work are blasting the A/C on high and freezing you out, or you happen to catch a summer cold, or just happen to be longing for a homemade pot of soup to get you through the week, you’ll definitely want to drag out the stockpot and make this!
And it makes plenty enough, that it will get you through the week with only having to cook once!
This Creamy Spinach, Sausage & Cheese Tortellini Soup is hearty, filling, a family-pleaser, and chockfull of the wonderful flavors of Italy! It’s easy to make, but tastes like you slaved for hours! I know you’re going to love this just as much as we did! So hang onto this, and be sure to save it on Pinterest and share it on Facebook! You’re gonna wanna make this!
Take care all, and stay tuned! #CookoutWeek 2018 is coming SOON!!! You won’t want to miss it! It’s going to be a GREAT party!
- 1 lb. ground italian sausage (sweet, mild or hot)
- 2 Tbl. Minerva Dairy Amish Butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 (24 oz.) jar of your favorite spaghetti/pasta sauce (I used Tuscan Herb All Natural Pasta Sauce by Barilla)
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 Tbl. basil pesto
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup very finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 (19 oz.) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tsp. salt
- In stock pot, sauté sausage breaking up, when mostly done drain grease. Add 2 tablespoons butter, onions, and mushrooms, and sauté until mushrooms & onions are golden browned. Add garlic and pepper, sauté one more minute.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, pesto, oregano, chicken base, and spinach. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream and parmesan cheese, bring back to a simmer, add cheese tortellini, and bring back to a simmer again and cook, uncovered, until just tender, (about 3 minutes is all). (Stirring GENTLY only when needed). Add salt.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with more grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil if you’d like! Enjoy!